Thursday, September 9, 2010

THORSday, Part Two: THOR HARDER


Two Thor comics are out on a Thursday? Looks like it's time to do another THORSDAY DOUBLE REVIEW! That's right, I'm following up my blog post about how I want to do more than just reviews by giving you maggots a DOUBLE REVIEW! That's the power of two reviews and they're multiplied my THE POWER OF THOR! Did you feel that? That was your soul exploding from the sheer awesomeness of the THORSDAY DOUBLE REVIEW MULTIPLIED BY THE POWER OF THOR!

I'll start you off with Thor 614, which is the final chapter in Kieron Gillen's awesome run on the book. Thor is in Hell and he's summoning the Disir (read: zombie viking chicks) to save Tyr and Hela from getting eaten alive. Needless to say, he wins, and the way he does so is pretty damn brutal. Doug Braithwaite just killed it on the art here and for that I can only give my thanks, because this is how a story about Thor adventuring through Hell should look. Overall this was a great end to an overall awesome run. If I ever reread this story again I'm gonna have to put together an awesome Metal playlist so that I can have the proper backgroung music for something of this magnitude (sorry Scott Pilgrim soundtrack, but you just don't work as well for Thor books!)

Meanwhile, Thor: The Mighty Avenger, continues to be the smash hit of the Summer, as well as one of the books I look forward to the most with each new issue. If you're looking for a place to start reading Thor, this is it; it's out of continuity enough that anyone can pick it up and read it, but it's so well crafted that any seasoned comic fan will just fall in love with it.

This issue we find Thor meeting up with his old friends the Warrior Three and they go out drinking. Then hilarity ensues and I mean actual hilarity; there's a scene where Thor and the Warriors Three are fighting this issue's guest star where there's a dog pile that is just pure comedy gold. Aiding it all is Chris Samnee's fantastic art. If you aren't buying this book, you're missing out, because this is easily in the top five best books that Marvel is putting out right now.

So there we have it; THE THORSDAY DOUBLE REVIEW OF THOR-Y GOODNESS, MULTIPLIED BY THE POWER OF THOR! Don't worry, I'm sure your soul can be put back together and even if it can't, go buy some more Thor, you damn Thor junkies!

No comments:

Post a Comment