Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Jadusable and Majora's (Haunted) Mask

I've never been much of a fan of Horror movies or scary stories of any kind; don't get me wrong, when the good ones come along, I enjoy getting a good scare. Still, for the most part, when something comes along and claims to be the next big scary thing, I usually just shake my head and chuckle because I know I'll just end up getting bored or irritated with whatever new crap Hollywood is trying to paint as scary. But like I said earlier, when a good one comes along, I definitely love getting that chill down my back. Well I think I found myself that special little something.

About a week ago, I was browsing one of the chans (If you don't know what they are, then you're a better person for it) when I came across screencap of a post made of 4chan's /x/ board. In it, a young college sophomore going under the name "Jadusable" (not sure if that was the name he posted as on 4chan, but it is his Youtube name) talks about a copy of "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask" that he bought at a yard sale. If you haven't heard the story yet, you can read it all here: http://tinyurl.com/2ckcygv (though the final part may not be up yet as of this posting, it is supposed to go up today.) I'd do my best to recount the tale, but I think you'd do much better to just read the entire thing yourself. And the posts themselves are one thing, but coupled with the youtube videos that have been posted, everything is suddenly just that much more creepy.

The video and the posts aren't exactly the type of thing I'll be losing sleep anytime soon, but they are the type of thing that keep me feeling uneasy as I read and watch it all. On the surface, it's easily the backwards music, the Link statue, and that goddamn Happy Mask Salesman that get me feeling creeped out. But there's still one thing that really gets me feeling creeped out; the general buggy-ness of the whole thing. Now, anyone who's played their fair share of games has come across this at least once; for whatever reason, something in the game just goes crazy and you get a character flailing around or even getting stuck floating in the sky. So when you look at this video and you see the city textures missing, or Link's upper body spazzing, etc. happening, the video seems that much more within the realm of possibility.

And that's why it gets so creepy; this all feels genuine. Jadusable could have easily had each of these encounters end with Link getting dismembered brutally and continuing on in the next video slightly more brutalized or sad looking. He could have easily talked about "secret cutscenes" where Link, terrorized by what's going on around him, commits a brutally realistic suicide. But no, this just looks like the game is bugging out and I find myself with that lingering feeling in my mind that maybe Jadusable really did have a haunted copy of Majora's Mask and maybe this is all actually happening.

And that's what I love about this; even though I know this is fake and I've seen some of the evidence to debunk it all, I still get that feeling in my gut and that chill down my spine whenever I watch one of the new videos. Mind you, I've only watched these videos once a piece, so it's entirely possible that the next time I watch all of these things I'll get bored with them and realize that I was just being an idiot all along. But what matters to me is that I got that right kind of chill and I've enjoyed this first time experiencing it all. Jadusable did a great job with this and I'm glad that I got to see it and that I even got to share it all with you. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go see if that final video has been posted yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment