Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #1: Hells Yeah, Guy Gardner!

Guy Gardner is probably my favorite of the Green Lanterns. From his days in the JLI to his current status quo as one of the more bad-ass Green Lanterns, the man has always managed pique my interest and keep me glued to the page to see whatever it is that he's up to. So naturally, when I found out that Guy would be the focus character of his own Green Lantern book (with Kilowog as his partner, no less) and that one Peter J. Tomasi was heading up the writing duties, I knew that if I only read one Green Lantern book, this would be the one.

This issue gets us started off with exactly the kind of thing I want from a book like this; Guy Gardner chasing a space truck through space on a construct motorcycle and then immediately proceeding to kick ass and take names. Great way to start off the first issue of a Guy Gardner comic! And then we immediately go into our regularly scheduled first issue; setting up our plot and the various threads that will be weaved within it. Is it bad? No. Is it boring? Again, no. But there isn't much happening yet, though what we are getting to see is pretty interesting enough that I'm definitely sticking with this one for at least another issue. My only real problem here is the lack of Kilowog in this issue, but it looks like that will be rectified in the next issue.

In terms of art, this is pretty standard. Nothing special, but not at all bad. There's really not much else to say about it other than that. Though I will note that that is an awesome cover. And I actually like the art here a lot more than what we get in the interior of the comic. Hopefully all the covers are this awesome.

So there we have it, a decent first issue; I'll definitely be coming back for more, but I'm still not entirely sold yet (though I'm going to say it's a safe bet that I'll be sticking on this one for the long run!) And with a next issue promise of "Poozer Hunting" I'm going to say it's a safe bet that Kilowog will be in the next issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment