Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rapture 2011: A Liar's Tale

Okay, so I'm going to start this one off by saying that this isn't a comic review of me being funny or anything like that. It's cool that people are playing this rapture thing like the joke it is, but that's not why I'm writing this. No, right now I just want to go on a bit about just how messed up this whole thing actually is.

For those of you who have been living under a awful large and mighty dense rock, May 21, 2011 is (according to Family Radio personality Harold Camping) the day of the Rapture. From what I understand there are supposed to be earthquakes, good people dying, and all around general mayhem for the better part of 6 months before all the good folk are too dead to be around for hell's rise to earth which means the sinners are all getting their due. Needless to say, anyone with enough common sense to know better is making light of the whole situation. But there are a handful of sad, deluded individuals who have sold off their things and quit everything in their life in order to preach about the end of days.

Before I go any further I'll admit that I'm not at all a religious person. It's just never been something I've really cared about. That being said, I acknowledge that religion is something that can help make one's life a little better. My Grandfather is a Roman Catholic who attends mass everday. He's also 83 (props to my older sister for correcting me!), happily married, unbelievably healthy for his age, a father of 7, a grandfather of 14, a positive member of his community, and just an all around great guy. He's got a great life and religion is a big part of it. So while I may not be a religious individual, I understand that it can be a positive force for the people who practice one.

Okay, so back to the point: people fell for Harold Camping's lies. They then sold off all their things and they quit their jobs so that they could spread his lies. Now we're here, at May 21, 2011 and I have yet to see any rapturing. I'm betting that none of it's going to happen at all and I'm absolutely positive that I'm right. So these people gave it all away for nothing.

Now, we could argue about whether they deserve it or not until we're blue in the face, but that's not the point; Harold Camping lied to them and now they're screwed. This bastard preyed upon these poor souls' faith and I bet you he's going to lie some more when it's all said and done. He lied in 1994 when he predicted the end, he's lying now, and he'll lie to save his ass again. He'll do it because he's a fraud.

So if you're one of those individuals that fell for the lies; I'm sorry. You got duped and outside of a lawsuit there's nothing you can do. You can however take solace knowing this; if Christianity is right and the 10 commandments are the word of the God, then this guy's going to Hell. "Why is that?" You ask? Well, I believe one of the commandments is "Thou shall not take the Lord's name in vein" (my wording may be off, but I'm close enough). Some people falsely interpret this as "Don't say "Jesus Christ" when you stub your toe or "Oh my God" when something shocking happens". They're wrong. What it actually means is "Don't make false claims in the name of the Lord." What's this guy doing again? He's claiming to spread the truth about the rapture and leading people to give up everything to spread his word and he's hypothetically going to burn in Hell for it. As for me, I'll be happy just to see you guys band together to sue his ass into poverty for the rest of his retched little life.

1 comment:

  1. Well Pop is 83, but aside from that, well said.

    ReplyDelete