Sunday, October 24, 2010

I Met Greg Pak!

This past week, the Philadelphia Film Festival was taking place in town. With came all of the various film makers coming in for the screenings of their various films. One of those film makers happens to also be a comic book writer. His name is Greg Pak (His movie is "Mr. Green"). Mr. Pak, for those of you unaware, writes both the Incredible Hulk and the Hercules. His Planet Hulk story even got turned into a direct to DVD animated movie! So if you haven't read any of his work yet, get on it, because he's damn good at what he does.

But enough about Mr. Pak's work, this is about how I got to meet him! About a few weeks back, Mr. Pak put out a tweet asking what Philly comic shops were good to go to. Immediately, I replied telling him to go to Brave New World's in the old city section; it's my favorite comic shop, and just an awesome place in general. Later that week, the BNW newsletter comes into my e-mail inbox and lo and behold, Greg Pak is going to be at their Old City location signing books.

That Saturday comes around and I get to the shop a bit early, mostly so I can browse around a bit and maybe even buy a few comics before the signing starts. I ended up picking up an Incredible Hercules trade ("The Mighty Thorcules") to have signed along with my two copies of Chaos War I had brought along (both #1, one for me and one for TheDudeVonDoom, host of the Harbinger(http://thedudevondoom.podbean.com/); you should listen to it, it's awesome).

Soon Mr. Pak appears, though he ends up being a bit late because of a screening of his running late. I get my comics signed and so does everyone else. Then I get to talk to him a bit; he's a really awesome guy! We talk about comics, cons, how he ended up getting into comics, and a bunch of other stuff. It's really cool to find out that someone who writes something that you read is just an awesome guy. He had no problem signing everything everyone had to bring and even signed all the comics he had written that the shop had in stock (the shop had already asked, of course). He even gave out some flash drives containing a .pdf of his latest comic "Vision Machine", though I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

Overall, Mr. Pak was an all around awesome guy. If you ever get the chance to meet him at a con or at whatever kind of appearance he may be making, go ahead and meet him. I had fun hanging with him for the hour he had to hang around at the shop with and it was a small piece of an all around awesome Saturday. He can be followed on twitter (@gregpak) and he also has his own web site (gregpak.com). Read his comics and go see his movies, he's an all around great, nice guy and it was cool getting to meet him.

No comments:

Post a Comment